What to Do This Week of April 23, 2017
Action Checklist for Americans of Conscience
By Jen Hofmann
24 weeks down, 80 weeks to mid-term elections. Deep breath innnn and ouuuut.
The intention of this weekly document is to make clear, hype-free suggestions for action backed by well-considered research. If an issue doesn’t affect you, consider whether you would support this issue on behalf of other Americans, then act accordingly. Although diligently prepared, contents are subject to human error. Please do your own research.
Did someone send you here? Sign up to receive this weekly checklist.
I believe I can make a difference.
Action: Create an activism plan.
Action: Oppose 45’s budget and threats of government shutdown.
Our combined voices can and do make a difference. He will yield to us.
Action: Call the White House comment line: 202-456-1111.
Action: Call your 3 MoCs (lookup).
Script: Hi. I’m from ZIP, calling about Trump’s budget. I want my tax dollars to fund (fill in the programs you support), not a billion dollar wall and 30 billion in new military spending. What is NAME planning to do about his budget ideas?
I believe in equal rights for all Americans.
Action: Oppose the deportation of DREAMers.
Call or write: Your 3 MoCs (lookup).
Script: Hi. I’m from ZIP and want to express my support for a healthy, sane immigration policy in the US. Except for Native Americans and the descendents of slaves, our country is made up of immigrants and is stronger for this diversity. What is NAME doing to support DREAMers and offering a path to citizenship?
I believe in a government led by qualified, trustworthy representatives.
Action: Ask your MoCs to insist Jeff Sessions appoint a special prosecutor.
Go to: Loyal Opposition (my resistance buddies) and follow their script.
Note: This is the way we’re going to get 45 out of office. So keep calling.
I believe in quality, affordable healthcare for all Americans.
Action: Oppose conservatives’ new revision of Trumpcare.
Call: Your 3 MoCs (lookup).
Script: Hi. I’m from ZIP and want to convey my complete support for universal health coverage for all Americans. Conservatives’ new MacArthur Amendment is the opposite of medical coverage. Will NAME oppose it–and all efforts to eliminate the ACA?
I believe in creating a healthy planet for future generations.
Action: Keep marching for science — make a statement to the EPA.
Until May 15, the EPA is soliciting public comment on repealing EPA regulations.
Visit: Regulations.gov – click the dark blue “Comment Now!” button, upper right
Script: Share why you support protections for clean air, soil, and water.
Action: Make a postcard of the scientific method to help science deniers.
Visit: The scientific method wikipedia page
Write or draw: The 7-step process on a postcard and send it to climate science deniers. Involve your kids if you have some. Add: “The climate crisis is real.”
Scott Pruitt (address)
Rex Tillerson (address)
Ryan Zinke (address)
Rick Perry (address)
Tom Price (address)
Wilbur Ross (address)
I believe in a vote for every American.
It’s going to take 4 things to gain seats in 2018 midterm elections. Starting now matters.
Action 1: Curtail gerrymandering.
Call: Your House representative (lookup).
Script: I’m from ZIP and support fair voting and efforts to stop racially discriminatory gerrymandering. Although this issue is going to the Supreme Court, I’m calling to ask you to support HB711 to address this issue legislatively.
Action 2: Fight expensive, discriminatory voter suppression.
Donate: Spread the Vote is raising funds to help vulnerable voters afford to purchase required ID. You can help. (click)
Action 3: Advocate for accessible voting locations, hours, and mail-in voting.
Call: Your Secretary of State (lookup), click on your SoS’ website link.
Script: I’m a resident of _STATE_ and want to know what my Secretary of State is doing to increase voter participation. (pause) I would like to see our state copy Oregon’s model of voting by mail and automatic voter registration when obtaining a driver’s license. At the very least, I want better options for mail-in voting, more polling stations, and increased hours. What will it take for this to be on his/her agenda? (Put this in your calendar to call monthly about this issue.)
Action 4: Resist new federal-level efforts to weaken election oversight.
Visit: 2 Hours A Week (awesome resistance allies!)
Follow their excellent script on opposing federal-level voter suppression in the proposed Election Assistance Termination Act.
Deep breath innnnnnn… Deep breath ouuuuuuuut… Okay, two more… You can do it!
I believe in being a good citizen of the world.
Write: Postcard to 799 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017 (or email)
Script: The Rohingya are a Muslim-minority group in Myanmar undergoing horrific state-sponsored persecution, including ethnic cleansing via mass rape and mass murder. We need Ambassador Haley to speak up for the rights of these women and girls.
I believe in the value of my voice and participation in our democracy.
Action: Commit to doing at least one screen-free, self-care action this week.
On the way to the doctor’s office yesterday, my wife’s blood pressure went up ten literal points listening to NPR news. We’ve got to de-stress. Do something that brings down your blood pressure and completely nourishes you this week. Plz?
Acts of Gratitude
Get out your stamps, postcards, and sparkle markers for some gratitude mail.
Thank Nancy Pelosi for publicly encouraging 45 to release his taxes.
Address: 233 Cannon H.O.B., Washington, DC 20515
Thank NY mayor, Bill de Blasio, for tweeting his own taxes to show 45 how it’s done.
Address: Mayor Bill de Blasio, City Hall, New York, NY 10007
Thank Rep Stephanie Murphy (R-FL) for joining the bi-partisan Problem Solvers Caucus and her sane approach to leadership.
Address: 1237 Longworth HOB, Washington, DC 20515
Thought-provoking, in-depth reading that’s worth your time.
- Don’t underestimate Mexico.
- Citizens have fewer rights at the borders and at airports.
- Michele at Good Deeds Done: an encouraging message this week about the resistance as an iceberg.
- Two in-depth articles about the climate crisis.
- Important reading for anyone with a student loan.
- The psychological reasons for why 45’s constant contradictions confuse us.
Please keep taking care of yourself. If we get tired, he wins.
- Latinxs, Yemenis, and a Queens business all band together to protest immigration investigation.
- Seattle designates $1.3M to defend the rights of immigrants.
- Democrat Jon Ossoff won 48.1% of a deep-red Georgia district, gerrymandered to favor Republicans. Runoff in June.
- Sally Yates will testify. She persisted.
- Muslim travelers sued the DHS for discrimination.
- 45 is being sued for Congressional Review Act that revokes wildlife protections.
- Floridan senator stepping down after making racist and misogynistic statements.
- 20,000 wrongfully-convicted people likely to be released from prison in Mass.
- Exxon will not get a sanctions waiver to do business in Russia.
- Bill Nye criticizes CNN on-air for inviting climate science denier to speak.
- New England Patriots player, Alan Branch, declines invite to the White House.
- Louisiana governor sheds light on rising sea levels through declaration.
- Families of four wrongly-convicted men receive apology from the state of Florida.
- Chileans protest Chechnya’s gay violence wearing pink triangles.
- Two 12-years-olds plan a LGBTQ pride parade to counter bullying and hate.
- Kentucky coal company creates jobs and energy with new solar plant plans.
- An Iraqui man paints peaceful messages over ISIS’ hateful ones as Mosul is reclaimed.
- The Office of Government Ethics reports over 39,000 citizen calls in the last six months (up from 164 in the previous year). Go, us!
- Even more good news here at this website full of weekly celebrations.
- If you’d like to receive this message weekly, sign up here.
- To see archives of past Action Checklists, click here and scroll to the bottom.
- Find this list helpful? Become a supporter (patreon) or contribute (paypal).
If you found this checklist useful, please spread the word!
Tweet: Check out @inspiredjen’s new list of resistance actions & self-care reminders: goo.gl/xevgF2 #resist
Email and Facebook: I get Jen Hofmann’s action checklist to stay engaged, but it also reminds me to take care of myself so I can keep resisting. Check out this week’s list: https://goo.gl/xevgF2
Please keep taking good care of yourself and rest when you need to. We’re stronger together!