What to Do This Week of March 12th, 2017
Action Checklist for Americans of Conscience
18 weeks down, 86 weeks to mid-term elections. Here we go, friends!
The intention of this weekly document is to make clear, hype-free suggestions for action backed by well-considered research. If an issue doesn’t affect you, consider whether you would support this issue on behalf of other Americans, then act accordingly. Although diligently prepared, contents are subject to human error. Please do your own research.
Did someone send you here? Sign up to receive this weekly checklist.
Act on your beliefs and values below.
I believe I can make a difference.
Create an activism plan.
I believe in equal rights for all Americans.
Action: Oppose the new Muslim immigration ban.
It’s not making us safer and is unconstitutionally discriminatory. Don’t let it be normalized. It’s time to up the ante.
Call: Your three MoCs (lookup).
Script: Use this very specific, well-researched script from Indivisible.
Action for Arkansans: Speak up for love.
Call: Your 2 state-level legislators (look up).
Script: Hi. I am a constituent from _ZIP_ calling to express my opposition to HB 2098 which discriminates against the LGBT community. (Share personal story, if applicable.) How does _NAME_ plan to vote on this bill?
I believe in a government led by qualified, trustworthy representatives.
Action: Support an independent investigation—until it happens.
Call: Your two senators (lookup).
Script: Hi. I’m calling because I would like _NAME_ to support Senate Bill 27 which calls for an independent commission to investigate Russian influence on our election and democracy. Can you tell me how s/he stands on this issue?
Action: Oppose Sonny Perdue for Secretary of Agriculture.
Call: Both of your senators (lookup).
Script: Hi. I’m from _ZIP_ and calling to oppose Sonny Perdue for Secretary of Agriculture. His history of using his role as governor of Georgia to benefit his own business has no place in America’s leadership. How does _NAME_ intend to vote on Perdue?
I believe in quality, affordable healthcare for all Americans.
Call: All 3 MoCs (lookup).
Script: Hi! I’m from _ZIP_ and calling about two issues related to health care. First, I oppose repealing the ACA. For me, losing the ACA would mean (share a personal story: can’t afford premiums waiting for tax credit, want abortion coverage, want maternity leave without being married, lifetime caps would cause personal bankruptcy, etc.). Americans deserve the same plan Congress receives. Secondly, HR 1215 intends to strip patient rights and protect corporations from lawsuits for medical neglect, abuse, and malpractice. Patients rights need to come first. Please ask _NAME_ to vote against HR 1215.
I believe in creating a healthy planet for future generations.
Action: Help elect progressive veteran James Thompson to Congress.
Putting a progressive in Mike Pompeo’s seat improves Kansas, the environment, and Congress all in one. You can help.
Read about James: http://www.votejamesthompson.com/issues.
Make calls from home: http://www.votejamesthompson.com/phonebank.
Action: Tell your climate story.
Stories change minds. Our Climate Voices is seeking first-person narratives about how climate change impacts your local community to be shared in their newsletter and website. If climate change affects you where you live, consider telling your story.
Deep breath innnnnnn… Deep breath ouuuuut… Only two more!
Action: Oppose the defunding or termination of the EPA (sources).
Review: Proposed budget cuts to EPA programs and choose one that will impact your state if defunded.
Call: Your 3 MoCs (lookup).
Script: Hi, I’m from _ZIP_ calling to ask _NAME_ to publicly oppose White House plans to defund the EPA and bills like H.R. 861. The EPA protects human health, the environment, and the economy. If defunded, (Share story about impact of proposed cuts). Where does _NAME_ stand on this issue?
I support protecting citizens’ right to legal action.
Action: Oppose a bill that would strip your rights as a consumer.
Yes, this is unsexy, but class action lawsuits protect you from shady corporations who commit civil rights violations or willfully harm people.
Call: Your two senators (lookup).
Script: Hi. I am a constituent from _ZIP_ calling to oppose HR 985, a bill that would strip my rights with regard to class action lawsuits. Americans and workers have a right to hold corporations accountable. Can you let me know how _NAME_ plans to vote on this bill as it moves into the Senate?
Acts of Gratitude
Get out your stamps, postcards, and sparkle markers for some gratitude mail.
Thank the ACLU for finding a clever way to call out Attorney General Jeff Sessions for lying during his hearing.
Address: 125 Broad Street, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10004
If you have time, read this thought-provoking, in-depth journalism.
- We are warehousing undocumented immigrants and forcing them to work. Please don’t look away.
- The politics of hating women.
- Big Oil will burst and why the climate crisis is political.
- Campaign remix: What if Hillary and 45 switched genders?
- What does calling Congress achieve?
Please keep taking care of yourself. If we get tired, he wins.
Avoid normalizing this presidency and #staywoke.
- A normal president fills positions that facilitate trade, not obstruct it.
- A normal president fills all key cyber security jobs to keep the government safe.
- A. Normal. President. Fills. Vacant. Positions.
- A normal president doesn’t lie about being wiretapped by a former president.
- A normal president doesn’t run a business at taxpayers’ expense.
- A normal president doesn’t open his staff to surveillance, blackmail, or bribes.
- A normal EPA head understands basic science.
- Normal lobbyists disclose their agenda before presenting a pocket-lining proposal to the president.
- DREAMer Daniela Vargas is released!
- Fired AG Sally Yates gets to testify in House Intelligence Committee hearings.
- Legal win! A Syrian man and his endangered family can live in the US.
- Some of 45’s advisors support staying in the Paris Agreement.
- Five states file suits against the Muslim travel ban.
- DC small business owners sue 45 for unfair competition.
- Connecticut considers a bill banning gay conversion “therapy.”
- Hateful, fake news site Breitbart has already lost 1400 advertisers.
- Hopeful signs for criminal justice reform from Republicans.
- First introverts like me showed up. Now even apolitical Mennonites are taking a stand.
- I love this website full of weekly celebrations.
- If you’d like to receive this message weekly, sign up here.
- To see archives of past Action Checklists, click here and scroll to the bottom.
- Become a supporter (patreon) or contribute (paypal).
If you found this checklist useful, please spread the word!
Tweet: With so much awful, confusing news, here’s one way to stay focused and #resist: https://goo.gl/HJfrxg
Email and Facebook: The news is awful and confusing, but taking action doesn’t have to be. Jen Hofmann’s list is really helping me stay focused: https://goo.gl/HJfrxg
We’re stronger together. Keep taking good care of you.