What to do this week of June 16, 2019
133 weeks down, 72 weeks to the presidential election.
The AoC Checklist features clear, well-researched actions for Americans who value democracy, equality, voting, and respect. To stay engaged through challenging times, we practice gratitude, self-care, and celebration.
I value democracy.
▢ Actions 1-8: Ensure that local governments count every single vote in 2020.
The president can’t challenge election outcomes if they’re verifiable. Speak up for truth and transparency in our final week of the Voter Empowerment Project: https://americansofconscience.com/empower-more-people-vote/
Acts of Gratitude
Get out your stamps, postcards, and sparkle markers for some gratitude mail.
Address: 200 E. Colfax Avenue, Room 136, Denver, CO 80203
Thank Susan Wojcicki, Youtube CEO, for expanding the definition of hate speech to include Nazism and for committing to remove discriminatory and “denier” content. [Share why reducing hatred, harassment, and violence online matters to you.]
Address: 901 Cherry Ave., San Bruno, CA 94066
Thank Friends Fiduciary for pressuring Comcast to be transparent about their lobbying spending. [Share why it matters to you that corporations are honest about their political agendas.]
Address: 1650 Arch Street, Suite 1904, Philadelphia, PA 19103
Thank Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA) for committing to defend Medicaid expansion for people in need. [Share why you appreciate health policy that prioritizes the needs of low-income people, disabled people, people of color, and people struggling with opioid abuse.]
Address: 200 N. Third Street, Suite 14A, Harrisburg, PA 17101
Thank Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson (D) for empowering college students to understand voter registration and voting procedures. [Share why you appreciate efforts to facilitate voting rights of eligible voters.]
Address: Michigan Department of State, Lansing, MI 48918
Thank Frank LaRose (R), Ohio Secretary of State, for taking election security seriously. [Share why you appreciate prioritizing improvements and funding for election security.]
Address: 180 East Broad Street, 16th Floor, Columbus, Ohio 43215
Decent people everywhere are speaking up and working together. Just look. #GoodNews
- Some U.S. embassies fly the Pride flag in solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community despite the State Department’s advisory.
- Government Accountability Office will investigate processing delays of permanent residence, work authorization, and naturalization applications by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals upholds the constitutionality of the Matthew Shepherd and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act.
- GA: Gov. Kemp signs bill unanimously passed by the state legislature that dissolves the Georgia Immigration Enforcement Board.
- IL: Gov. Pritzker signs bill to protect reproductive rights, including access to abortion.
- ME: State expands access to reproductive health services by allowing trained nurse practitioners, physicians’ assistants, and certified nurse-midwives to provide abortion medication and perform abortions.
- MO: State court grants preliminary injunction protecting abortion access.
- NE: Gov. Sisolak signs bill to automatically restore voting rights to returning citizens.
- VT: Gov. Scott signs new law protecting the right to abortion.
- Puerto Rico’s lawmakers abandon proposed “religious liberty” legislation that would have allowed government employees to discriminate against some constituents.
- ES&S, a voting machine manufacturer, commits to no longer selling paperless voting machines.
- CEOs from 180 companies sign on to a full-page letter in the New York Times condemning restrictive state abortion laws.
- Privacy Law Scholars Conference severs financial ties with data-mining company complicit in police and border surveillance.
Groups and organizations
- The Sentencing Project releases new data showing a 60% decrease in the number of incarcerated youth in juvenile facilities between 2000 and 2017.
- The National Council on Independent Living launches the nonpartisan Elevate Campaign Training, the first national political campaign training program specifically for disabled people.
- The Catholic Legal Immigration Network (CLINIC) and the Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project (ASAP) file suit to compel the federal government to release critical immigration records to formerly separated families.
- San Francisco ends fees on phone calls from jail, making it the first city in the nation to eliminate the practice.
News with heart
- Botswana’s High Court rules anti-LGBT laws unconstitutional, restoring “privacy, respect, and dignity to the country’s LGBT people.”
- Ecuador’s highest court authorizes same-sex marriage in a landmark case, ensuring equal treatment for all married couples under the country’s marriage laws.
- Actor Ali Stroker becomes first wheelchair user to win a Tony Award.
- Jurors refuse to convict Scott Warren, an activist charged after providing travelers in the desert with water, food, and lodging.
- Ryan Kirkpatrick, nine years old, pays off the lunch debts of his entire third grade class.
- Ariana Grande donates proceeds from her Atlanta, GA concert to Planned Parenthood.
- Penguin Random House releases a commemorative video of Eric Carle celebrating the 50th anniversary of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, a “book of hope.”
- Carolina Waterfowl Rescue’s social media request for knitted and crocheted nests to house wild nestlings results in thousands of donations from crafters.
- See more good news at Women in the World, Small Victories, Good Black News, and What Went Right.
Please tell others about the Voter Empowerment Project.
Post a tweet: If you’re worried that the current U.S. president will not honor the outcomes of the 2020 election, here’s something you can do about it. Open this week’s @AoCChecklist and speak up: https://americansofconscience.com/6-16-2019/
Post on Facebook: If you’re worried that the current U.S. president will not honor the outcomes of the 2020 election, here’s something you can do about it. Open this week’s Americans of Conscience Checklist and speak up: https://americansofconscience.com/6-16-2019/
- Sign up: Get the weekly Americans of Conscience Checklist here.
- Share: Follow us and share the Checklist on Facebook and Twitter.
- Merch: Spread the word with our stickers, magnets, and more.
- Gratitude: Big thanks to JEB and the Production Team, our Social Media volunteers, Research Sous Chefs, and Team Captains. Thanks also to the amazing angel patrons whose support makes it all possible.