What to do this week of August 13, 2017
Action Checklist for Americans of Conscience
By Jen Hofmann
40 weeks down, 64 weeks to mid-term elections. Take a breath and exhale.
The intention of this weekly document is to make clear suggestions backed by well-considered research for Americans who care about democracy and justice. While Congress is in August recess, the checklist has just 7 actions per week based on subscriber priorities.
Did someone send you here? Sign up to receive this weekly checklist.
I believe in quality, affordable healthcare for all Americans.
Action: Support bipartisan cooperation to repair ACA.
Call: Or write your 3 MoCs (lookup or leave message).
Script: Hi. I’m a constituent from [ZIP] and wanting [name] to know how relieved I am that the Senate’s efforts to repeal the ACA failed. I support quality, affordable healthcare for all Americans and would like to see [name] lead collaborative, bipartisan discussions on improving the ACA so that it works for everyone. Can you tell me what [name] is doing to foster this?
I believe in a government led by people of integrity.
Action: Meet your Congressional representatives in person this month.
Call: Your 3 MoCs (lookup or leave message).
Script: Hi. I’m a constituent from [town] calling to find out when [name] is holding a town hall meeting near me during August recess.
Bonus: Visit https://www.indivisibleguide.com/ for guidance on how to make the most of attending this event.
I believe in equal rights for all Americans.
Action: Stand with Charlottesville.
- Attend a vigil.
- Donate to medical expenses of victms: Here, here, and here.
- Call for white supremacist WH staff to step down. Awesome script at Loyal Opposition.
- Read how to actively respond to hate.
- Work for equality. Discover how you thwart it.
Action: Oppose taxpayer-funded abuse of peaceful people (hat tips).
Call: Your 1 representative (lookup or leave message).
Script: Hi, I’m from [ZIP]. I know we’re in recess, but I’m calling ahead about the budget negotiations coming up next month. Specifically, I’m deeply concerned about what I’m reading about ICE raids, detention center conditions, border patrol abuses, and deporting peaceful, vulnerable people to dangerous cities. Our treatment of immigrants amounts to sanctioned, taxpayer-funded abuse. Please let [name] know that I want him/her to cut funding to the deportation machine, and vote no on any bill that funds this abusive system. Will [name] commit to this? (pause) I want a respectful path to citizenship for our country’s 11 million undocumented people. Thanks.
Action: If the new indy film Whose Streets? is playing near you, go see it (click Get Tickets for locations).
I believe in a woman’s right to reproductive care.
Action: Oppose cutting care for women, teens, and minority and low-income women.
Call: Or write your 1 representative (lookup or leave message).
Script: Hi. I’m from [ZIP] and calling to ask [name] to reject tax cuts for millionaires at the expense of women’s health. I’m concerned that the house budget bill would bar women, teens, minorities, and low-income families from accessing lifesaving screenings and family planning support. We can’t limit women’s access to care just to enrich America’s wealthy few. Can you tell me how [name] plans to defend women in the budget?
I believe free, safe, and open voting is fundamental to a thriving democracy.
Action: Think 2018. Advocate for elections that are free of foreign hacking.
Call: Your 1 representative (lookup or leave message).
Script: Hi. I’m from [ZIP] and concerned about a second foreign hacking in the next election cycle. I would like [name] to co-sponsor H.R. 1562, the SAFE Act, which makes elections more secure. Can I count on his/her support for this bill?
Bonus: Tweet committee chairs and ranking members: Visualize our 2018 #midterms free of Russian hacking. Keep H.R. 1562 moving, @BarbaraComstock @RepLipinski @GreggHarper @RepBrady.
Deep breath innnnnnn… Deep breath ouuuuuuuut… We’ve got this.
Acts of Gratitude
Get out your stamps, postcards, and sparkle markers for some gratitude mail.
Thank Mayor Rahm Emanuel for preventing Chicago police from serving in immigration enforcement and for filing suit against threats to withhold public safety grants from sanctuary cities. Thank you for your leadership and for making Chicago a city that welcomes all people.
Address: City Hall, 121 N.La Salle St., Chicago, IL 60602
Thank Mayor Toni Harp for affirming that New Haven respects people no matter where they come from — and for offering sanctuary to asylum seekers like Marco Reyes Alvarez. Your courage and leadership help your city live up to its name. Thank you.
Address: 165 Church Street, New Haven, CT, 06510
The Myth of American Innocence (The Guardian).
Sleeping Near a Forest Fire (Jen Hofmann).
- 52% of Republicans think Congress should try to make ACA work. Dems at 95%.
- Your presence at August recess town halls is getting the healthcare message across.
- CA Attorney General sues EPA over Pruitt’s conflicts.
- Two wins in WA and AK for women’s access to legal abortion.
- IA Democrat wins special election in district previously supporting the president.
- Oregon grants new respect to retail and restaurant workers in scheduling shifts.
- Army returns remains of three Arapaho children who died at an assimilation school in 1883.
- Hundreds of people gather in support of Muslim people in the wake of bombing.
- Episcopal clergy meet in Charlottesville to affirm that all races are equal.
- Two LGBTQ-rights groups sue the president over transgender military ban.
- Airbnb refuses housing to participants in white supremacy rally.
- One journalist brought down a $200M fraud scheme. #FreePress
- Michigan restaurant owner stops ICE from entering business.
If you found this checklist useful, please spread the word!
Tweet: Here are six easy things to do for Week 2 of August recess: https://goo.gl/UVMnc8
Email and Facebook: Here are six easy things to do during August recess: https://goo.gl/UVMnc8
- To receive this message weekly, sign up here.
- Click if you have a question, correction, or action suggestion. With thanks!
- To see archives of past Action Checklists, click here and scroll down.
This checklist is always ad-free and no-cost. Support its weekly creation on patreon or paypal.