What to do this week of December 10, 2017
Americans of Conscience Action Checklist
By Jen Hofmann
57 weeks down, 47 weeks to mid-term elections.
This checklist features clear, hype-free actions for Americans who value democracy, equality, voting, and decency. Additionally, we practice gratitude, self-care, and celebration to stay engaged. Urgent actions are highlighted in yellow.
I believe I can make a difference in our democracy.
Action: Prepare for an intense week.
Fill up your water bottle and take deep breaths 🙂 Because Congress is going on recess at the end of this week, everything seems a bit more intense than usual. This checklist features several issues that need resolution before recess starts. We’re in this togther!
I value equality.
Action: Advocate for a clean Dream Act vote before recess.
Call: Your 2 senators and 1 House rep, red and blue today (look up).
Script: Hi. I’m from [ZIP] and I’m calling because I disagree with McConnell and Ryan’s decision to not include the Dream Act in the continuing resolution. I don’t want these young people who’ve lived in the US their whole lives sent to an ICE jail or a border town in Mexico to fend for themselves. This is not who we are. I want [name] to protect these young people and use his/her influence to vote on the Dream Act (H.R. 3440/S. 1615) before recess. Thank you.
Action: Advocate for our youngest, most vulnerable citizens’ health.
Call: Your 2 senators, red and blue this week (look up).
Script: Hi. I’m from [ZIP], calling to ask [name] to fund the Children’s Health Insurance Program. It’s had 19 years of bipartisan support. A delay in authorizing its funding puts the health of 9 million kids at risk starting this month. What is Sen. [name] doing to reauthorize CHIP funding?
Action: Oppose the tax bill for the negative effects it has on women’s careers.
Read: This excellent Forbes article.
Script: The Republican tax bill hurts women, their educational options and career choices. It would also decrease the number of female entrepreneurs. I want [name] to oppose this tax bill and restore normal order in Congress. [As a woman, student, teacher, parent, and/or business owner,] I oppose a corporate tax reduction at the expense of our future. Thank you.
Action: Stand with LGBTQ+ people by opposing biased reporting.
Amplify GLAAD’s opposition to Megyn Kelly’s anti-gay and biased reporting.
Write: TODAY, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112 or http://www.nbc.com/contact-us
Script: [Mention if you’re a viewer.] On her recent show covering the civil-rights SCOTUS case, Megyn Kelley’s anti-LGBTQ bias was obvious. This case is not about cake. It’s about all Americans being denied access to the services they need. Please give equal time to qualified experts on the legal case, not repeated interviews with hate groups.
Action: Advocate for the safety and lives of LGBTQ+ youth.
Amplify Lambda Legal’s efforts to retain net neutrality.
Call: Your 2 senators and 1 House rep before December 14 (look up).
Script: Hi. I’m calling from [ZIP] because LGBTQ+ youth rely on the internet as a lifeline and safety net in intolerant homes and communities. Repealing net neutrality would risk their lives. I want [name] to do everything they can to prevent its repeal. Thank you.
I value secure, convenient voting and fair elections.
Democracy thrives when all citizens can freely elect those who represent their values.
Action: Oppose national voter database plan that threatens 2018 elections.
Write: Your Secretary of State or state-level elections official (look up).
Script: Hi. I’m from [town], concerned about the president’s “election integrity” commission. I oppose their plan to create a national voter database to be stored in the White House. The commission is already under investigation by the Government Accountability Office and is refusing to fulfill information requests. Experts say this plan makes my personal information vulnerable to hackers abroad and at home. This is unacceptable. The majority of Americans know that Trump and Kobach are tilting at windmills. Can you tell me what you’re doing to stop them from wasting taxpayer money on a problem that doesn’t exist?
I value the ethical treatment of all people, regardless of immigration status.
Over the next year, the checklist will 1. oppose constitutional violations and inhumane treatment of immigrants by ICE, and 2. provide caring outreach to detainees.
Action: Advocate (again) for baby Mateo who was separated from his asylum-seeking dad by ICE and Customs & Border Patrol. The actions below are offered in collaboration with Pueblo Sin Fronteras (City Without Borders).
- Call: Sen. Kamala Harris at (619) 239-3884. I am calling to ask Sen. Harris to advocate for the reunion release of José Demar Fuentes and his baby son Mateo. This inhumane separation violates US immigration regulations.
- Call: The San Diego ICE field office at (619) 436-0410. I am calling Director Archambeault to request the reunion of José Demar Fuentes and his son Mateo, as well as for the other three other fathers at the Otay Mesa Detention Center—Walter Ramirez, Carlos Batres, & Eric Matute. Thanks.
- Sign: The petition by Pueblo Sin Fronteras which is advocating for their reunion. Let’s get to 20,000!
- Share: The petition above on Facebook and Twitter using #GiveMateoBack.
Deep breath innn… Deep breath ouuut… Remeber that you’re doing these actions with tens of thousands of Americans of conscience. You are not alone in your outrage or your hope.
Acts of Gratitude
Get out your stamps, postcards, and sparkle markers for some gratitude mail.
Thank Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) for putting country before party and humanity before politics in supporting Democrat Doug Jones’ campaign. Thank you also for defending the integrity of the US electoral system against the president’s rhetoric. As a fellow citizen, I am grateful for your actions. Name, State, Party
Address: 2200 East Camelback Road, Suite 120, Phoenix, AZ 85016
Address: 3003 South Loop West, Suite 460, Houston, TX 77054
Thank Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO) for his willingness to defend Dreamers. These young people need a Republican ally in Congress, and I’m grateful for your courage, leadership, and sense of urgency on this important issue. Name, State, Party
Address: 3300 S. Parker Road, Cherry Creek Place IV Suite #305, Aurora, CO 80014
Thank House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi for continuing to express clear support for Dreamers. I’m especially grateful you’re insisting that the Dream Act pass before recess. Thank you for your leadership on this important issue.
Address: 90 7th Street, Suite 2-800, San Francisco, CA 94103
- 35 House Republicans push for DACA decision before the end of 2017.
- Louisiana solicits input about how to make voting more accessible.
- TIME names the #metoo silence-breakers as its Person of the Year.
- In response to pushback, HUD reverses course on cutting homeless vet housing.
- 100 families and gun violence victims held a DC vigil to oppose dangerous gun legislation.
- Since the tax plan was released, Congress has received over 650,000 calls.
- Republican Sen. Tom Tillis calls for misconduct investigation of Roy Moore if he wins.
- Patagonia publicly opposes shrinking two national monuments and mobilizes action.
- Look at all the books that Prison Culture, Americans of Conscience, and many others purchased for women in prison! If you were able to contribute, thank you!
- A community speaks out to oppose a new ICE prison.
- A Kentucky man runs agains the county clerk who once denied him a marriage license.
- Hilary U. (one of our own!) and her Indivisible Hillsboro friends protest ICE every Monday at their local courthouse.
- One VT woman uses her Hurricane Irene experience to help Puerto Rico get and keep FEMA grants.
If you found this checklist useful, please spread the word!
Tweet: We know you’re tired, but #TheResistance needs you. @inspiredjen’s action checklist has your back. We can do this! #strongertogether https://goo.gl/XBBvRk
Email and Facebook: Check out the Americans of Conscience checklist by Jen Hofmann for clear, no-hype instructions to #resist. Even ten minutes a week can make a difference. Amplify your impact by sharing: https://goo.gl/XBBvRk
Housekeeping and announcements
- Learn about our heartwarming December fundraiser.
- Learn about a new opportunity to volunteer your research skillz.
- Sign up to receive this message weekly here.
- Click if you have a question, correction, or action suggestion. With thanks!
- To see archives of past Action Checklists, click here and scroll down.